Sunday, June 15, 2008

Turn Turn Turn

Action 866

To everything there is a season.

The more things the change the more they stay the same.

The most villanous bottler since Dasani is back! The version of Brainiac that was responsible for stealing Kandor and keeping it in a bottle has returned to the Superman mythos. I don't know whether I found this story charming because it brings back the Brainiac I grew up with or because of Gary Frank's art.

Also revived:

  • The Steve Lombard/Clark Kent practical joke rivalry. This I could do without. It was lame in the seventies when Cary Bates and Elliot Maggin created the character. It's still lame. It also signals the return of Clark Kent as wimp.
  • Clark Kent's bangs. (Is this a nod to Brandon Routh's hairstyle in Superman returns?) In any case they remind me of the sporadic 1960s series featuring the Superman of 2965, who also wore his hair draped down over his forehead. At the time I remember thinking how handsome and mod it made him look and even deciding to wear my hair the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment