Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Big Undo

Secret Invasion 3

Is the Tony Stark who led the majority of Marvel heroes to register during Marvel's Civil War series last year a Skrull?

I make no secret of my distaste for the Civil War story and it's effect on the Marvel universe. I think that government registration of heroes, while perhaps a realistic request, introduced to heroic fantasy one of the saddest elements of our modern, post terror-obsessed society. It tainted my escapist reading pleasure with the same poisonous paranoia I face when I read the newspaper.

If, as is hinted by the Skrull Spider Woman in this week's Secret Invasion, Tony is a Skrull, perhaps that explains the registration drive. Wouldn't registering all Earth's heroes make it easier for a Skrull invasion force to corral them all?

If so, wouldn't the removal of the false Tony Stark from influence in the Marvel Universe restore the pre-Civil War status quo?

I admit that I often go off on flights of fancy as I read fiction, seeing endings I hope I will read as I work my way through a series, and I'm usually wrong and disappointed. Still, wouldn't it be nice if I were right?

Trinity 1

Unlike DC's previous weekly series, Trinity does not rely as heavily on creation by committee. There is one writer. And the main section of every issue is drawn by one and only one penciller -- and a talented one! This makes me hopeful that perhaps there might actually be one or more cohesive stories to be told, not just a series of interwoven events. I hope this is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment